Monday, June 9, 2014

Working with Panels

My friend, Darlene, has made many quilts to donate to Victoria's Quilts Canada.  Their mission is to provide handmade quilts to people with cancer in Canada.

Here is Darlene's latest quilt.



Darlene used the Peacock panel from Northcott as the central theme, selected fabrics to go with the panel and added blocks around the panel.

Each of these quilts has a flannel back for extra comfort and Darlene used our weekly group's Handi Quilter Avante to quilt her donation quilts.

Do you have any panels hiding in your stash?

Why not make a quilt like this. Gather fabrics based on the colours in your panel. To make the surrounding blocks 'fit' you may have to add borders to the panel just as Darlene did.  You can easily work out the math for the borders after you decide the size for your surrounding blocks.

I'd love to see what YOU can do with a panel. Send me pictures and I'll share them here on the blog and on my Facebook page.


No comments: