Friday, January 6, 2017

Those Christmas Projects

Earlier this week I mentioned that I was busy in December sewing several gift projects.  Here are some of them.....and a few pictures of our family Christmas.

A made Garment Bags for my mom, my daughter and my daughter-in-law. I first saw these at Serge & Sew in Nanaimo last fall and thought they'd be fun to make.



The pattern is included in Cindy Taylor Oates' book Trendy Totes & Caryalls.




Along with sewing projects I did a bit of baking too.  I am a huge fan of The Great British Baking Show (thanks to my friend Jill who got me 'hooked').  I watched their 'Christmas Masterclass' episode a few weeks before Christmas and I was enchanted by Paul Hollywood's Chelsea Bun Christmas Tree. I thought it would be a prefect treat to take to my daughter's home to share in the afternoon on Christmas Day.  Here is my version of his recipe.


 

(Note - the PBS video may not be available in your area but 
the recipe is available through the Masterclass link above.)


I found the conversion to Farenheit from Celsius (used in the UK) in the recipe is probably incorrect. I suggest a hotter oven if you want the 'buns' to cook in the time listed. 

At 350F it took at least 40-45 minutes in my oven. Paul used 190C Fan.
That converts to about 375F Convection.

And finally (until I get more 'gift pictures' from my kids....) here is the turkey cooked by my son-in-law - all 20 pounds of it!  And my granddaughter, Alice's reaction!



I CAN'T believe how BIG that Turkey is Daddy!


No comments: