Thursday, February 4, 2016

Chic Flowers - The Quilting

Last week I showed you my 'in progress' class sample for my Creative Curve Ruler workshop at Kaleidoscope Quilt Company (see that post here).

Well I finished the quilting and binding on Tuesday and I love, love, love it!  I don't often take a whole day to quilt a table runner but I just couldn't stop myself. I started by outlining the blocks and the flowers. Then I marked a grid in the white setting triangles with my Clover Fine Washout Marker (tested first, of course). I stitched those lines with Superior's Bottom Line thread in white.




It looked fine but I wanted more 'punch'. I had a quilt longarmed by a local quilter a couple of years ago and she used a 'back and forth' design in some of the blocks. I loved how those areas receded and the around that stitching were higher. So I decided to give it a try.

I marked the squares that I wanted to STITCH IN with my Clover Air Erasable Marker (of course I tested it on the fabric first to be SURE it would fade away).





Then off I went.  This is quilted on my domestic machine (Bernina 440). I didn't use the stitch regulator - just my free motion foot, feed dogs lowered.  It was fun to see if I could stitch from one square to the next without having to cut the thread. After the fourth setting triangle I had discovered the most efficient stitching pattern!

I did more quilting on this piece.  I'll tell you about the other parts next week.


The workshop is on Saturday, March 12, 10 am - 3 pm.
  Contact the store at 778-455-4715 for more details. 

Here's their website too:


No comments: