Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Book Review - Freemotion Quilting Idea Book

I think a lot of quilters are like me - we enjoy learning! Even if we think we have all the answers, we can't resist seeing how other quilters approach an aspect of what we do.

For this reason I recently added the free-motion Quilting Idea Book by Amanda Murphy to my library. I have been free-motion quilting for many years but it is nice to see new books with more quilting ideas.

Amanda's book didn't disappoint. The first thing I love about it is the spiral binding so the book will lie flat near my sewing machine.

The book includes basic machine quilting tips that are also a  good refresher for those of us with more experience. There is a pattern for the table runner pictured on the cover of the book and Amanda shows several ways to quilt the runner, with reference to the designs included in the 'Designs' section of the book.

I think the 'Designs' and 'Blocks' sections are the best sections of the book. A wide range of quilting ideas are presented for many traditional blocks.  Quilters can use these ideas just as they are or they can jumpstart your creativity for your own particular quilt.

Later in this blog post you will see how I  used some of the design ideas in a table runner.

The book is a Stash Book, an imprint of C&T Publishing.

C&T has just announced the companion APP for the book too!  I bought it right away - I wanted to see how some of the material in the book would be presented.  Here is the first screen that you see when you open the APP:


And this screen shows one of the Allover Design Tutorials. This one is for 'Paisley'. You can see the Design Steps (what you see in my picture) PLUS there is an animation of the stitching PLUS there is a video with Amanda showing you how to stitch the design.



There is also a Video Library. Amanda shows topics like Getting Started, Loops Designs, Small Fills and more.



I used some of the information in the book when I finished the quilting for my Chic Flowers table runner. 

I used the 'Paisley' design in the dark blue portion of the blocks and stippling in the centres of the blocks.  



I adapted one of Amanda's ideas for quilting Flying Geese blocks for the flower 'petals.




This is a great book to add to your quilting library.

No comments: