Monday, June 23, 2014

Quilt Canada - Brock University

This year's Quilt Canada was held at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ontario.  I taught 3 workshops and also took a workshop with my friend, Elaine Quehl.  It was a busy time but I managed to take a few photos during my time at Brock.

On Wednesday I was joined by a small (but enthusiastic) group of students who wanted to learn my Give & Take Applique technique. The project for the class was the Sunflower Table Runner from my DVD. Thanks to Janome for providing our sewing machines. Everyone enjoyed trying out a variety of stitches for their applique.

I gave each student my Give & Take Applique Stencil Set; it makes tracing the pattern onto fusible web faster and easier. 

Great results everyone!
 
Thursday was 'Ripless Paper Piecing' day.
 
 
Here's another happy group with their Spring Tulips blocks. This makes over 100 students who have learned my technique so far THIS YEAR!
 
I loved everyone's fabric choices and how quickly everyone was creating their blocks.
We had a whole garden blooming in our classroom.
 
PS - want to be among the next hundred to learn about Ripless? I'd love to come to your guild, shop or event and share this timesaving and no waste method.
 
 
 
 
Peter brought one of his paper pieced projects to show and share. He made 'My Vacation Week' to use 'ugly' fabrics in the shirts. They definitely aren't 'ugly' when made into the shirts Peter.
 
I'm sure I saw all these shirts on my last tip to Hawaii :)
 
The last shirt in the row is Peter's painting shirt - the last day of vacation he spent the day painting! 
Thanks for sharing Peter.


I managed to do a quick tour through the Merchant Mall after class. That's where I found my friend, Sherri Hisey from Border Creek Station Pattern Company. It was fun to say a quick hello. Next time we'll have to spend more time catching up!

 
There are more photos coming your way - my dyeing day with Elaine Quehl (and what I did with that dying fabric in the Ziploc bags!), my final workshop at Brock and my trip to the Dufferin Piecemakers in Orangeville.

No comments: