Thursday, September 1, 2011

Road Trip - Portland

There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship. Thomas Aquinas

There is also nothing more fun that going on a road trip with girlfriends! My 2 days in Portland at the end of August was a wonderful break from work. The weather was warm, we sat outside for dinner at Jake's



 and even stopped for ice cream at Ben & Jerry's one afternoon.


We stayed in the downtown shopping district at the historic Benson Hotel, built in 1913. It has been restored and features Italian marble floors and Austrian crystal chandeliers. I was transported back in time as I sat in the lobby reading the morning newspapers.


Portland is known for art installations throughout the city. Along a shady street we found several seals frolicking in a pond and Peggy, Anne and Marg just had to say hello! (No, he's NOT real but certainly looks like it).

If you get a chance to visit Portland I encourage you to take in all the city has to offer - wonderful restaurants, good shopping, art that is a feast for the eyes and, of course, Powell's bookstore - a landmark in itself!  I'll tell you what I found there in a future post.

No comments: