Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sampler Class - Calico Cupboard

I have just finished teaching a 6-month class at Calico Cupboard Quilt Shop. Four wonderful students joined me to make my Rambling Rows quilt, rows of pieced blocks and applique where they learned many basic and intermediate techniques. Here are pictures of our last session where we were arranging the rows and making decisions about sashing strips and border fabrics. I think they all did a wonderful job, don't you!

This is Pat's quilt. We discovered the yellow fabric between the rows worked perfectly. Pat is making this quilt for her granddaughter.

Marilyn chose a beautiful floral fabric for her border and selected the colours for the rows based on it. She will have a medium-light green fabric between her rows. We played with arrangements to give balance to the design and the fabric colours she used.







Diane also based her fabric choices on her border fabric. She is using several different colours from the quilt as sashing. Her arrangement balances the colours and values throughout the design.










Keitha made a Christmas quilt and designed her own applique for those rows. I think this is a wonderful, innovative design. We found a great striped fabric (in the sale bin!) that works perfectly to frame her quilt.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with these quilters since January. I think everyone learned many new skills and their quilts are beautiful!

I am working on the brochure for new Fall classes at the shop and will post a note when it is available. In the meantime, if there is a class YOU would like to take (with me or any of the other teachers at Calico Cupboard - Peggy, Diane, Susan T.) please let me know and we'll see what we can do.

1 comment:

Heckety said...

I-love-these-designs!!!! I'm always looking for ideas of patterns to put together as at the moment I'm into the 'strippy' look. It also just goes to show that every quilter will achieve something different- colour, arrangement, placement, whatever. Its qhat makes it all so interesting.
And Congrats to your people- these are just lovely!