Thursday, March 18, 2010

Travels - St. George, Utah

I have just returned from a vacation/teaching trip to Las Vegas. Since Las Vegas is SO close to St. George, Utah, the 'WORLD HEADQUARTERS' of Superior Threads.....I just had to go for a visit and to pick up some thread for projects for my next book (and a game of golf).
I was welcomed by Heather (Mother Superior) Purcell and her husband Bob (theThread Professor). Heather and Bob lived in Japan for several years and they have some wondeful kimono in the front office area.

Bob took me on a tour of the warehouse. The floor of the warehouse is carpeted (and vacuumed every day), and has racks with row upon row of perfectly aligned boxes of thread. There is a separate area for shipping, a room for packaging Texture Magic and Dissolve stabilizer. I met several of the staff members as we walked through the various areas, including the lady who packages all the kits for the Block of the Month program for The Quilt Show (with Ricky Tims & Alex Anderson). Those kits looked so inviting! She also ships many of the books by the authors who have appeared on the show.

Along with the warehouse, Superior Threads also has a School of Threadology. This is housed in an addition to their original space and includes a huge room dedicated to mid-arm and long-arm machines. You can take classes with the top educators in the industry. More machines are coming - so they will have every brand for students to use.



Another large room has been outfittted for 'home machine' students. Bernina USA has supplied the classroom with Bernina 730 machines and special classes all about thread and workshops with the world's top teachers are presented here.

Thank you to Heather and Bob (and all the staff) for welcoming me and my husband. I am excited to use my new thread for my next Give & Take Applique projects.

Oh yes, I bought lots of thread - I just couldn't resist! I also picked up some more Texture Magic for Satin Moon Quilt Shop. My next 'Pillowcase Party' shows you how to make a pillowcase with a textured band. Class is on April 15.

We did go golfing as well!

No comments: