Thursday, May 7, 2020

Time to Quilt - Quilting Designs

Have you finished your Time to Quilt quilt top?  I sewed my final seams yesterday. I decided not to add a wide border to my quilt. I like the blocks framed with the dark navy narrow sashing.



The next thing on the agenda is the quilting.  Is this a step that stops you from completing our projects? I try to think about the quilting as I make my projects. I probably will not make any final decisions until the top is completed but this 'thinking' time (and perhaps a few sketches) make that part of completion less onerous.

You'll also need to prepare the backing for your quilt.  
Northcott has a way for you to WIN the backing!  To qualify, create a quilt top with at least 12 of your blocks by Monday, May 11 and post a picture on Northcott's Facebook Page. The winner will receive enough backing for their top.

Create your quilt top with a minimum of 12 blocks by Monday 11th May, and one lucky winner will be chosen to win enough backing fabric to suit the size of their quilt!



Here is my process to try out designs before I do any quilting:

I take a picture of the completed top (the picture above).

I print the picture - in colour is a good idea if you can.

Then I place tracing paper over that page and try out some design ideas.

Here are some ideas I am considering for my quilt:


I love the idea of Baptist Fan. I don't have a computerized longarm so I would have to use rulers to stitch this design. I think something 'curvy' would be a nice accent to all the straight lines in the blocks.

What about you? Have you been thinking about how to quilt your quilt? Share your ideas in the comments.

Hope you have had a lot of fun with Time to Quilt!

No comments: