Saturday, April 11, 2020

Time to Quilt - Block 4




Block 4 is now available on the Banyan Batiks Facebook Page

There are 2 blocks again, and this time their blocks use some of MY fabrics! 
Of course I made my blocks just the same.

Both of these graphic batiks are in the Seaglass Colourway.

Here are my blocks today:


This is a very unusual block design that uses both
Half Square Triangles and Quarter Square triangles.



I played around in Electric Quilt to see how these blocks would work in a quilt.

First is a quilt where the blocks alternate and sashing surrounds the blocks.
The sashing makes the quilt less busy.


Next I removed the sashing and arranged the blocks 4 across and 4 down (total of 16 blocks) and tried the 'Symmetry' Tool in Electric Quilt. The Symmetry tool is capable of producing 16 variations of the quilt design by flipping and rotating the blocks. 


This the quilt I liked best after trying the 16 options..

Then I wondered if I could use the blocks as a border. The centre of this quilt is the Tapa Cloth panel, part of my collection.  It was designed to use many of motifs from the fabrics in the collection. The inner border is a 'coping' border - it is designed to make the centre of the quilt fit the pieced borders that surround the panel.



I hope you are having fun making YOUR blocks. Be sure to share them on Facebook and 'tag' them:

#timetoquiltbanyan #timetoquiltnorthcott #timetoquiltfigo #tapaclothfabric


Come back tomorrow to see Block 5.

No comments: