Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Time to Quilt - Block 22

Only 3 blocks left for our quilts. How are you doing with yours?  In between working on the blocks I have been trying to finish up a few more UFOs. I am working on the binding for 1 quilt and have another one loaded on the longarm. I am enjoying moving from one project to another and making progress on all of them. 

Here is today's block.



The pattern for today's block is on the Banyan Batiks Facebook Page.

I did not make changes to this block but I concentrated on how to be successful when piecing the block. I also am looking ahead to how I will sew all the blocks together. The important part is to not 'chop off a point'.

When piecing the centre row I sew with the center block on top so I can see my previous stitching lines:




To ensure successful 'outer' edges I pressed the top row and bottom row toward the center. That way I can see the intersection seam where the HST meets the centre block. This will be helpful when I sew the block into the quilt.


That means the center row is pressed toward the outside so I have alternating seams and this is how that row 'wants' to be pressed anyway due to the weight of the piecing in the centre block.

To sew the rows together I again sew with the centre square on top.


And for the final row seams I pressed open so I can see the matching spot
on the outside of the block.


Here is the back of my block:



Now for a couple of quilt options.

This is a 'straight set' quilt with wide sashing. I changed the corner fabric colour for one set of blocks.  I like the secondary design in this one.



This is an 'on-point' setting. Again I changed the corner colour and I added pieced setting triangles to continue the pattern out to the edge of the quilt. 

This makes a different secondary design.



Don't forget to share your blocks on facebook using these hashtags:



and see what Patti has done with her blocks too.

See you back here tomorrow for Block 23!

No comments: