Saturday, April 25, 2020

Time to Quilt - Block 18



I'm using my favourite fabric from my Tapa Cloth collection again for today's block. You can get the pattern on the Banyan Batiks Facebook Page.



I made an adjustment to the block because I wanted to eliminate a few seams so my main fabric would not be cut up. After studying the block for a while I realized I could use the 'connector corner' method to make both versions of the block.

Here is a picture of my adjusted arrangement for the blocks:



This means that the pieces to cut are changed.  To make the blocks the way I did here are the revised cutting instructions:

Light Fabric:
  • (10) 3 ½" x 3 ½" squares
  • (1) 4" x 4" square


Dark Fabric:
  • (4) 3 ½" x 6 ½" rectangles
  • (2) 3 ½" x 3 ½" squres
  • (1) 4" x 4" square



Make the 'connector corner' parts of both blocks by drawing a line on the wrong side of 4 Light 3 ½" x 3 ½" squares and layer them right sides together with the Dark rectangles. Sew on the line, press toward the corner and trim the layers underneath. This picture shows the arrangement for these sections:



Make the HSTs for the block center with the 4" x 4" squares like the picture below and 'square up' to 3 ½" x 3 ½".


And here is the layout for each block. Sew the 'four patch' first and then add the remaining pieces around it.




Here is a quilt layout with the blocks:


Check out Patti's tips for this block. 

And share your blocks on facebook using these hashtags:



No comments: