Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Border Quilt - Quilt Along - Part 3

The next part for the quilt is a border of stars.

I chose 1 background (Banyan Batiks Ketan #830 Lilac Longing) and Ketan #240 Flirt and 2 Ketan Multi colours from the Tropical colourway (#1013 and #1020) for the stars.

First I made the star points using the Fast Flying Geese method. I wanted to use the Wing Clipper Ruler by Studio 180 so I followed Deb Tucker's method to make these units.


2 marked small squares
placed on a large square
(slightly towards the center)

sew 1/4" on each side of
the marked line
 
cut on the marked line

add more marked squares and
sew 1/4" on each side

press the triangles out


cut on the marked line


When the final triangles are pressed the pieces are a bit big so they can be trimmed to be the exact size. My star points 'squared up' perfectly with the ruler.









Next I made the stars.




I arranged them on my design wall and distributed the different fabrics around the quilt. When I sewed them together I definitely wanted those star points to match.  By turning each star a 'half turn' I had nesting steams for the points. I pressed the joining seams open so the quilt is very flat.






Here is the final result with this border added to my quilt. It has just the very BRIGHT look I was hoping for!

I have added a navy border around the quilt and I have started working on the next border. I'll show you that part in a couple of weeks.

How is YOUR quilt coming along? 

No comments: