Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Border Quilt - Quilt Along - Part 2

For Part 2, I added 4 more borders to my quilt. Remember that I am changing the 'values' for my quilt. The main difference you will see in this part is my choice for the solid fabric borders.

I chose Banyan Batiks Shadows in Orange and Banyan Batiks Ketan - Champagne for the first 'checkered' border. I sewed my stripsets first and pressed toward the Orange.


I needed to cut units from the stripsets and to make it more efficient I layered two stripsets together, carefully 'nesting' the seams. 





I picked up the pairs and sewed...........OOPS!  This is NOT what I was supposed to do. Luckily I didn't sew them all and only had to unpick a few! But aren't those centre seams perfectly matched!



This is the correct way to sew them. I pressed these seams toward the Orange.



Next, I added the Orange/Champage borders to my quilt......



and then I added a Ketan dark blue border. 



I pressed toward the dark blue border. Not just because this is the dark fabric, but because all those seams in the Orange/Champage border 'want' to go that way. Why fight it!

I repeated the steps for another 'checker' border. This time I used Purple Shadows and Apricot Ketan.

Another Ketan dark blue border completes this part.


How are you doing with your quilt?  I'd love to see some pictures of what you've done so far and share them with other quilters who are making the Border Quilt.  Email me what you've got to:
info (at) daphnegreig (dot) com

No comments: