Monday, June 25, 2018

Ring Toss - a new pattern from an old design

I made a quilt with this 'ribbon-like' block over 20 years ago and I have wanted to design a pattern with it for a long time. My original quilt had the blocks in a traditional horizontal setting.


For this quilt I moved the rings around as I created the design using Electric Quilt sotware until they were overlapping.


The piecing is actually very straightforward. To simplify the piecing and avoid 'partial' or 'Y-seams' where the blocks overlap I sewed the units in horizontal rows.

I quilted free-motion feathers and swirls on my longarm, giving the lacy background lots of texture.



Fabrics are from the Darling Lace collection and Ketan by Banyan Batiks.

I also made a section of this quilt to show at my Schoolhouse presentation in Portland last month. I reversed the values so this quilt has a dark background.




No comments: