Friday, November 3, 2017

International Quilt Market - Fall 2017

It is over for another year and I had an amazing time in Houston this year. It started with my far TOO early flight to Calgary. Managed to capture this sunrise picture from the plane.


Then on to Houston. My hotel was formerly called The Inn at the Ballpark (now the Westin Downtown). You know what that means! Right next to Minute Maid park where the Houston Astros were playing in the World Series. We had a few crazy and noisy nights with our hotel lobby full of fans (standing room only). It was hard not to get excited along with them. Houston won but had to go back to Los Angeles to do it. Congratulations! Houston has had a rough time lately and they deserve a chance to celebrate.


There has been a lot of updating in the area around the Convention Centre. Last year was a massive construction zone with several new hotels being built and a re-configuration of the area directly in front of the centre. Restaurants have been added to make it easier to find food! 

Art installations have also been added to the area including this structure. Changing colours of lights shine through the fountains and the whole structure moves and there is music to enhance the experience. And that's what I felt it was - an experience!


Here is a video I found on YouTube so you can see how this kinetic structure moves. 




I helped with the setup for the Northcott booth. We had 2 sections because it was the big launch of our new division, Banyan Batiks. Here are a couple of pictures of the quilts on display.


This is my quilt, Shibori Weave.
The other part of the booth showcased several new collections including Stonehenge Maplewood. My quilt, Maplewood Trail, is the one on the right. I loved using the ombre fabrics to create the latticework around my quilt.


On of the nicest things about Market is reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones. 

Here I am with Joyce Hughes and Joan Ford. We met at the
Creative Arts Business Summit a few years ago.


And I even got a selfie with Eleanor Burns!


Tomorrow I'll share one of my favourite parts of attending Quilt Market - seeing the QUILTS!









No comments: