Monday, September 5, 2016

New Pattern - Old Growth

Did you follow my series of posts about embellishing my Old Growth quilt? 



I talked about: Bobbin QuiltingCouching Thick Threads and Embellishing with Fluffy & Fuzzy Threads


I have now published the pattern for this quilt.

It all started when I was on a mini-vacation earlier this year. My husband and I travelled to Uclulet on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. We stopped at Cathedral Grove, a special place filled with old growth trees, some as old as 800 years!  I took lots of photographs as we walked among the trees.

A couple of months later I was asked to design a pattern using Northcott's new Naturescapes fabrics.

As soon as I saw the amazing 'bark' fabrics I knew what I wanted to design. The water, sky, rocks, ferns and textures were perfect for the background and the variety of bark patterns worked wonderfully for my version of the old growth trees.




After I sewed the background I drew stylized trees based on several of my photographs, selected the different bark and green texture fabrics and fused them to the quilt. My basic quilting  was done on my longarm and for the embellishments I used my Bernina 440 domestic machine. Since the quilt is not large, you can quilt it on your domestic machine and then try some of the embellishments described in my blog posts.

I am thrilled with the results and hope you will enjoy making your own Old Growth quilt too.

The quilt is 50" x 50" and I recommend this pattern for Advanced quilters.

Naturescapes fabrics will be in quilt shops starting in November, but you could get started with fabrics from your stash and begin work on your own version of my trees.

Order the pattern here.






No comments: