Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Class with Philippa Naylor - and her book, Applique Mastery

In October I attended International Quilt Market in Houston. The last day of this trade show is also the first day for International Quilt Festival classes. I took the opportunity  to take a Festival workshop with Philippa Naylor.

This was my 'year off' from Festival teaching  and I registered as soon as the online registration opened and got the class I wanted - Contemporary Curved Piecing.

During the class I completed the curved churn dash and over the holidays I added the curved borders and quilted my project.

I gave a photograph 'hint' about my project on Facebook:
 

Here is the promised 'reveal'.


The curves are machine sewn and with Philippa's instructions they are smooth and perfect. 

Here is a closeup of some of the machine quilting with decorative stitches that I incorporated into my quilt.
  
I will be sharing this machine quilting technique with students in Hawaii in February. Information is in the sidebar. Will I see you at the Retreat in Hawaii?

***************************************************************

This is Philippa's most recent book. The book includes all the techniques to create your own Quilt Masterpiece. Topics include a wide range of applique methods: turned edge, satin stitch, blanket stitch, free-motion and more. This section of the book is a marvellous reference for any applique project. 

The second part of the book gives you step-by-step instructions to make Philippa's 'Bird by Bird' quilt, laid out in a monthly format. All the patterns for the quilt are included in the book. I think I will choose one month's instructions to make a small project. 

One of the things I like most about the 'Bird by Bird' quilt is the selection of modern-style fabrics Philippa used. It gives fresh appeal to the design.

**************************************************************

Today's Studio Spotlight is..............




Click over to Debbie's Blog to see her Studio.

No comments: