Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Product Review - 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge


The 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge by Nancy Zieman is a "multifunctional sliding gauge for easy marking". The tool is marketed by Clover, a well known notions company.
 
These are the 5 uses for this tool:

 ·         Spacing and Marking Buttonholes – since I don't sew clothing, I would not use this part of the tool.
 
·           Seam Allowance Gauge – the distance markings in the center area are useful for marking seam allowances. Seam allowance sizes are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 5/8". I would use the 1/4" measurement for marking seams for hand-piecing and for marking squares to make half-square triangles or Fast Flying Geese. The end of the tool also has a 1/4" measurement to quickly check a seam allowance.

·         Hem Gauge - this is useful for marking hems or turn-under allowances. I would use this part of the tool.

 
·         Circle Compass – I really liked this part of the tool. I tried it for marking an 'arc' for quilting and it was easy and accurate.

·         "T" Gauge – this allows you to measure 'right angles' precisely. I haven't found a use for this part of the tool. Do you know where YOU would use this?

 The tool does what it says. I won't use it often but it is a 'nice to have' measuring tool.

No comments: