Thursday, July 12, 2018

The Border Quilt - Quilt Along

Have you ever done a Quilt Along? I haven't but I saw a post on Facebook from Jen Shaffer inviting people to join in. Jen's pattern company is Patterns by Jen.

I was first intrigued since she is using a Northcott Flannel fabric for her quilt and I love the Enchanted Forest collection.




So I had a look at the quilt we would be making and I LOVED it too!


I have always liked Medallion-style quilts. In fact I designed two Medallion quilts and posted the instructions on the Patchworks Studio website in 2000 and 2003. (Can't believe how long ago these were done!)

Quilters could join the fun to make the quilt like a 'block of the month program'. They bought a pattern package that included templates where they were needed, paper piecing blocks and the applique shapes that were added in some areas of the quilts. This package was sent by regular mail since this was long before the internet widely available, Facebook did not exist and I had to post monthly instructions on the website. I guess this was really an early version of a Quilt Along!

Here are pictures of the 2 medallion quilts that I designed.

Club Medallion, 2000
Melon Splash, 2003

This Quilt Along will be a lot more fun because you will be able to see Jen make her quilt  and I'll be making it too. I think there are other designers who are joining in as well. And you can share your progress on Facebook and Instagram.

So how do you join in the fun?

First..............READ Jen's blogpost here.

Second.........Order your pattern (links to purchase are in Jen's post) and there are a lot of options to get the pattern.

Third.............Join the Facebook group to ask questions and share your progress. If you are using Instagram use #theborderquiltquiltalong OR the really short #tbqqa so we can see your progress.

It all starts on July 18th with Introductory Posts

I'll be sharing the fabrics I'll be using. While I love those flannels.....I have selected something else and I'm doing a bit of a 'flip' with the quilt. You'll have to come back on July 18th to find out!

See you soon in the The Border Quilt Quilt Along!

No comments: