Well, this quilt has evolved and I'm happy to say it is now complete!
I did decide to use a facing. You can see in the picture above that I had a dark blue outer border. After I completed the quilting I decided that border didn't belong on this quilt so I cut it off. I 'faced' the quilt instead. I think it looks much better that way.
I also decided to add another element to this quilt - Monstera leaves (one of my favourite motifs). The focal print is very tropical and I thought this motif would enhance that feeling. I sewed around my leaf design with Jane Sassaman's Sew Sassy thread. The outline was so faint that it didn't show up well.
I decided to complete all the other quilting and think about my options for the leaves.
|I used Rainbows threads in different variegated colours for the different ares of the quilt.|
The same quilting design was used throughout.
So I pulled out my box of other paints, inks, etc. I had some Liquitex Inks. They are transparent - and that was the quality I wanted.
Of course I tested on scrap fabric first! I also had some Shimmer powders that I'd never used. I added a bit of the green shimmer to a blend of yellow and blue ink and I achieved the 'ghostly' image I was after. It's still quite subtle so I may add more ink. I coloured close to the leaf outline. I'll live with it for now and let you know if I do more embellishing for the leaves. Perhaps more stitching inside the leaves, or more colour, or....
If you have suggestions I'd love to hear them!