Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Product Review - Perfect Rectangle Ruler and more

I love it when I can combine testing a new product with a small project. I had a cute flannel panel fabric (Northcott's Flirty Birdies) in my stash and decided to make a cot cover quilt for my new granddaughter, Brooklyn. Two textured solids and a wavy stripe coordinated well.
I thought 'tipsy blocks' would be fun to make with the bird blocks so I decided to give the Creative Grids Perfect Rectangle Ruler a test run. The ruler's main function is to cut perfect rectangles that can be assembled to make half-rectangle blocks when the width is one half of the height. But these half rectangles can also be used to 'tip' square blocks.

I cut four 8" squares from the panel, followed the instructions with the tool to cut triangles from 8-1/2" wide strips and then sewed them to the square. The instructions that come with the tool are well written and illustrated.
The final step was to square up my blocks to measure 11" square.


I joined the blocks with sashing and prepared my quilt sandwich. I tried Pinmoors for basting. These are drum shaped rubber pieces that allow you to baste your quilt with straight pins. You push the sharp end of the pin into the Pinmoor. Since I have some arthritis in my right hand it was easier to use the Pinmoors than safety pins (my usual basting method). The pins stayed in place and were easy to remove as I quilted my small quilt.



And here is Brooklyn's first quilt - the first of many I'll make for her!

1 comment:

Lee Ewing said...

Love the colours. So bright and cheery - she'll love it.