Monday, January 25, 2016

New Year Tradition


January can be downright DREARY here on the West Coast. And this January is definitely cool and gray. But there is a PROMISE of great things to come. Here are hardy species tulips (and far too many weeds) starting to burst forth from in my front garden. The tulips do this every year. And every year the bunnies eat them before they bloom!  I'm trying to come up with a way to keep bunnies out of the bed so I can enjoy the flowers. Must get a plan in place soon or they'll be eaten again. If you have ideas for me, drop me a note! It can't involve killing the bunnies, though. 
 

I spend a lot of time in my studio at this time of year and I always want to start 'fresh' for the new year. That means re-connecting with my fabric stash - I try to tidy the fabrics, re-sort them into their proper places; sometimes they are in bins by colour of fabric type and sometimes they are folded and stacked on my shelves. I accomplished part of this earlier than usual. I took a day just before Christmas to get my main fabric cupboard in order.

PS - you can't see what is going on at the bottom of the cupboard - bins and stacks of fabrics and supplies that need sorting!

 

I wish I could say the rest of the studio is tidy. I have been sewing a couple of quilts so there are leftover fabrics to sort and put away, notes for future patterns that need to be filed in my office and tools and supplies to put where they belong (so I can find them when I need them the next time!) I try to follow that old saying.... A place for everything and everything in its place. How much time do we spend looking for things? I resolve to put everything IN ITS PLACE when I am finished with it.  
 
 So, what will happen when I reach for my Rainbows, Fantastico and Magnifico threads? I sorted them on the weekend and they are in a NEW place. Will I remember where they are?


Do you have an 'after the holidays' tradition in your studio? I would love to hear about it. 

2 comments:

Monica said...

We're not sure who eats our spring flowers, bunnies, squirrels or raccoons, or all of the above! But, we have noticed that the red flowers seem to be the tastiest, so now we stick with yellow and white!

Daphne Greig said...

Wow - I'll have to see if that's true in my garden too. I know they don't eat daffodils and I have lots of them!