Monday, October 21, 2013

Wonders of Niagara - Quilt Canada 2014


Wonders of Niagara is the theme for the next Quilt Canada conference, being held in St. Catharines, Ontario, June 11-14, 2014.
 
Brock University will host all of the activities and accommodations on its campus. Twenty teachers from across Canada, the United States and Europe will provide a wide variety of workshops for every quilter including classes for long arm and for modern quilters. Other activities during the week include the exciting National Juried Show Award Ceremony, concurrent quilt shows, informative lectures, dinners, an incredible Merchants Mall featuring 60 booths and the closing banquet.

On-line registration for the conference is NOW OPEN.
 
I have been selected as one of the faculty for Quilt Canada 2014. It will be my first trip to the Niagara region and I'm very excited to visit this area of Canada. 
 
I will be offering four workshops featuring a variety of my favourite techniques.  I am known for Give & Take Applique so it makes sense to share this 'no waste' positive/negative technique in a 1-day Sunflower Table Runner class. The kit  ($30) will include a tracing stencil, Teflon sheet and the complete pattern. You will select your own fabrics (mostly fat quarters).


Sunflower Table Runner

I have been teaching Ripless Paper Piecing online through Quilt University for many years. This 'green' technique means there is no tedious paper removal after you have sewn your precise blocks. For this class I have designed a Tulip Wallhanging. You'll want to display it every spring to brighten your day!  I will provide the prepared foundations and complete pattern in your kit ($3).
Ripless Tulips

Do you collect Fat Quarters? I sure do! Broken Cookies is a 'split quilt' that resulted from the cover quilt from my book Fat Quarter Frenzy. The quilt in that book was made with precise circles, hand appliqued. But as I made that quilt I wondered if there was another way to make the blocks. After some experimenting with some of my African fabric stash I developed a fun, fused way to 'do the splits' - this is a more modern version; matching not required!  We'll have time to play with decorative machine stitches in this class too.  The kit ($20) includes template material, a Teflon sheet and two patterns. The supply list gives options for 2 designs, both using your stash of Fat Quarters!
Broken cookies - Do the 'Splits'!

Last, but not least, is the most fun you can have with 'stuff'!  Sheer Collage Cards are small works of art created spontaneously with a wide range of fabrics including sheers, cottons, silks and more!  The kit ($20) includes all the fabrics and supplies you will need in class. 
Sheer Collage Cards

I hope you will consider joining me in St. Catharines next June. We'll have a GREAT TIME!



No comments: