Thursday, July 25, 2013

Product Reviews - Sewline Fabric Pencil


Marking quilts can often be such a problem. Can I see the line? Will I be able to remove the line? I have most often used 'washout' and 'steam out' markers but my friend Peggy told me about the Sewline Fabric Pencil. She likes hers so I thought I should give it a try.
 

The pencil works like a mechanical pencil; you push on the end to reveal the lead and there is a built-in eraser as well. The package I bought came with gray leads and I bought a second set of 'white ceramic leads coloured with water-soluble dyes, specially formulated for fabrics'.
 
I set up my tests on a white quilt sandwich for the gray lead and a black sandwich for the white ones. Both leads made fine, smooth lines on the fabric. I stitched my motifs and then used the eraser to remove the lines where they showed outside my stitching. I had to read the package to figure out how to release the eraser but found a simple twist was all it took to release it. I like this feature since the eraser is protected when it is not being used and can't be knocked off by mistake. The marks erased easily as you can see from my photographs.
 
 



 

 
It was easy to replace the gray leads with the white ones and both leads come in protective cases to keep them from breaking when not in use. This is definitely going into my sewing kit as my new 'go to' marker.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I bought this in yellow, but I had a difficult time erasing the yellow. It felt like I had to rub too hard on the fabric to make it go away. Maybe the gray would be a better option.

WeedyMama said...

I bought one and used it at a workshop. I know I brought it home, but ALAS! I can't find it.

WeedyMama said...

I bought one and used it at a workshop. I know I brought it home, but ALAS! I can't find it.