Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Day at Granville Island



Granville Island is a jewel in the heart of Vancouver, British Columbia. This special place is filled with restaurants, theatres, galleries, studios, unique shops, cafes and the most spectacular fresh food market you’ve ever seen!

Last week my 3 girlfriends (Peggy, Jill and Debbie) and I made the 'trek' from Vancouver Island on the ferry, then bus, Canada Line, another bus - and we were right at the entrance. A very easy, no stress way to travel.


We visited with Jill's sister-in-law, Karen Cooper, to see her photography gallery. Amazing work she is doing including fabrics printed with her photographs, photographs on lucite, glass and aluminum!  Be sure to check out her website.

The farmers were up early to stock their stalls with the freshest fruits and vegetables. We are SO lucky to have this local bounty.




Cheese from around the world was arranged and labelled


and the sign above was a great reminder of the Olympic excitement in London.



We were almost drooling over trays of mouth-watering pastries and cakes, many with fresh fruit


and cholocate tarts with 'quilting designs' on top!


We visited The Cloth Shop at their new location in the Creekhouse Building beside the Arts Club Theatre and Rogers Chocolates



and I reconnected with Maria, one of the owners. I'm glad they brought their famous cart from the old store. It's a signature piece that ALWAYS makes me think of The Cloth Shop! 

Great new shop Maria and Barbara Jean.  I'll definitely be back.


And, finally, a spectacular sunset on our way home on the ferry!

3 comments:

WeedyMama said...

Pictures good enough to eat! I feel like I should say, "hi neighbor" as I live in eastern WA state, not that far away, and I spent several years in the Seattle area. I still miss it. I will be keeping tabs on you. This looks like a delightful place to play.

Chris said...

I am from Ontario and my husband and I just had our first visit to Vancouver. We also had a fun time on Granville island and visited the cloth shop where I purchased some fun nancy drew charm squares. Great shop!
Chris

Daphne Greig said...

I saw those Nancy Drew squares too! What are you going to do with them? I was a fan of the books when I was a girl but I read EVERYTHING written by Enid Blyton! Still have a couple of those books - The Sea of Adventure.