Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Designer Interview - Chris Hoover

Meet Chris Hoover of Whirligig Designs.
When did you start quilting and how did that happen?
1989 – a friend showed me a quilt she had made in a beginning quilt class and I thought “I can do that!”
How did you come up with your company name, Whirligig Designs?
I never sit still, am constantly working on something – either quilting, knitting or reading and it’s a nickname of sorts.
How would you describe your style?
Eclectic – I love traditional designs but try to make them a little more contemporary.
What inspires you to create a new design?
Anything and everything!  Sometimes it’s the fabric, sometimes it’s a word, nature, architecture, you name it!
Do you use technology when you develop new designs? If so, how?
I sketch designs out on graph paper when something comes to me and I’m not at the computer.  If I’m at my computer I use Electric Quilt.
Do you participate in other activities related to quilting?
I belong to my local quilt guild and an offshoot group of contemporary quilters.
What are some of your interests outside the quilting world?
Reading, knitting, bike riding
Anything else you would like people to know about you?
Picking fabrics and drawing up the design is probably my favorite part of the quilting process.



Here are a couple of Chris's patterns using Stonehenge Stone Strips. Chris has more new designs coming using other Stonehenge fabrics - stay tuned!

Smokey River

Blueberry Hill
Blueberry Hill

No comments: