Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Printing on Fabric - Labels

The Victoria Quilter's Guild is presenting Journeys, their bi-annual quilt show, on May 4, 5 and 6. This is my 'home' guild and I will be showing three pieces.

Looking West was accepted to the Quilts: A World of Beauty competition in Houston last fall so it is ready to go - it has a sleeve and label.

Miyagi Tsunami has a sleeve but no label yet. Read about how I added the sleeve to this 'odd-shaped' quilt on my blog a couple of weeks ago.

Moira's Fans has no sleeve and no label. There is one extra block that will be used as part of the label for this quilt.

Time is getting short!  Those labels need to be made - more printing on fabric. Since I only need these 2 labels I am using fabric cut from my roll of Electric Quilt Printable Fabric. I don't want to waste a whole 8 1/2" x 11" 'page' of fabric for just these 2 labels. I could 'fill the page' with other images but I don't really have the time to sort through digital files and make decisions on what to print right now!

I decided to add the Artist Statements along with the contact information on my labels. I opened a Word document and typed and formatted the text.

Next I printed the document on paper to check how it would look and be sure the spacing includes a turn-under allowance around each label. I also checked that the label for Moira's Fans would work well with the extra block; I will sew the printed text to the block and then use the entire unit for the label.


I measured how much fabric I would need to cut from the roll to accommodate the labels - 6" works well.

I realized there was extra space below the Miyagi label so I inserted a photo of yellow tulips from my garden. I'll use that photo in a collage sometime!


I cut a piece 8 1/2" x 6" from the roll, placed it in the back feeder tray of my printer and printed the labels. I will follow the instructions to let the ink dry for at least 15 minutes, peel off the plastic backing and then soak the fabric in room temperature water. I will let the fabric dry flat on a towel and then get those quilts labelled.

I'll definitely meet the deadline! 

No comments: