Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Caribbean Cruise - Part 2

Our first full 'at sea' day was the start of the Quilting part of our cruise. I taught students needleturn applique in my Dots & Dashes workshop. They learned a 'no baste' way to applique perfect circles using needleturn and templates they made in the class.  Our 'classroom' was fully equipped and even had view of the ocean!

Dots & Dashes Workshop
Gloria B. sent me this picture of her completed piece. She bought an interesting necklace at one of the stops, decided that it didn't need 3 strands of beads. She took the extra strand of beads apart and used them to embellish her piece. The idea for YoYo's came from Gert, one of my students. Isn't Gloria's piece lovely!



Dots & Dashes - by Gloria B.

Bonaire was the next port of call. Bonaire and Klein Bonaire (a special protected island) are actually part of the Netherlands. We walked along the seafront and I snapped pictures of buildings and doors. Several of these 'door' pictures may become an addition to my Photo Books series. (see  Doors I here.)




My husband and I took a 'glass bottom boat' tour to see the tropical fish. Our guides were from Ireland and the Netherlands - both very knowledgeable about what we were seeing through the glass.  We even saw this sea turtle.


We spent the rest of our time walking around the area (in search of the rumoured quilt/fabric shop) and came upon this fun wall.





Imaging our surprise when we found these FLAMINGOES in the walled garden!





I DID find a fabric store. They stocked mostly clothing fabrics and strangely, lots of attachments for Bernina sewing machines!  Only a few cotton fabrics were available including bolts of Madras. These ones came home with me - 1 metre each.  For the 'stash' for now.





More Caribbean Cruise and Quilting pictures to come!

No comments: