Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More from Quilt Festival in Houston

I taught for a full week at Festival in November. It was wonderful to meet so many students and share my knowledge with them.
Here are a few pictures from those workshops.

First are examples of Sheer Collage Cards made by Mary, Sara, Leaane, Darlene, Jean, Bonnie, Carolyn, Jan, Karin, Ginger and Cathleen.


Each student started with the same basic set of fabrics from the kit I provided and added their own selections from a pile of other fabrics and sheers that I brought for them to use. Aren't they all so different and interesting. I am teaching a similar workshop in April 2012 for the Nanaimo Quilters' Guild. I'm sure there will be equally interesting results there.
 
 Sheer Collage Cards - Houston

Ripless Paper Piecing showed students how to have the accuracy of paper piecing without some of the fuss - no sewing through the paper so you don't have to remove it later. It also means your 'foundation' is re-usable so I call it the 'green' approach.  Students started work on a Christmas table runner in this class.
Ripless Paper Piecing
In Broken Cookies, students learned about fabric 'value',  played with fused ovals and string pieced blocks. I enjoyed seeing the variety of fabrics as each student put her blocks on the wall. I would love to see these quilts when they are finished.

Broken Cookies


That's just a sample of student work. Some of my other activities included presentations about Machine Quilting with Fat and Fuzzy Threads, Stamping on Fabric and Too Easy Stained Glass.

If you get the opportunity to go to Houston, be sure to check out the education catalog. Many classes have kits to make it easy and you will always learn something new!

No comments: