Thursday, September 15, 2011

On My Bookshelf

Create Your Own Hand-Printed Cloth by Rayna Gillman


My review this time is about the book I bought in Portland last month. I have done many of the techniques in the book but it is an excellent reference text with instructions and inspiration for many surface design processes all in one place. Rayna begins with detailed descriptions of the fabrics and equipment to gather. You probably have many of these items already if you have an interest in creating your own fabrics. Rayna suggests checking your junk drawer (yes, we all have them) and the hardware store for things to use in your work.

The book is 'picture rich'. Each technique is well illustrated so you can see exactly how to get started. Each chapter also has finished work for inspiration. I'm sure I'll spend some time looking at the pictures first and then it will be fun to dive in and create some new cloth.

The first chapter talks about stamping with found objects. One of my fun workshops is "Creative Stamp Making - Easy & Cheap". This is what I will be demonstrating at the Mixed Media Miscellany event at International Quilt Festival in Houston this fall. You can see a total of 19 teachers demonstrating techniques and methods in one room!  Details are on the Festival Website. Hope to see you in Houston!

No comments: